Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Offroaders!

A while ago I ran a 4x4 vehicle, not for the image of the "soccer mom/dad" but because where I live we have bad winters. Now my 4x4 ran superbly through one such winter and enabled us to stay mobile while a lot of others we not allowed that luxury.
While I had the car I used it off road too. Seeing as though so many never see off road I decided mine wasn't going to be like that. I was going to use it for what it was designed for.
So I joined a 4x4 club and we went to various sites around the UK and also had our own quarry where we held play days. I met a lot of good friends through that club all of us used our vehicles for the intended purpose and I also learned that they have huge respect for other road users.
Now this last fact may seem odd as our usual opinion of 4x4 drivers is of idiots who think they own the road - how wrong. Proper 4x4 users appreciate they are in charge of huge vehicles that can easily crush smaller vehicles and act responsibly because of this.
I learned a great deal about driving through the club (both off and on road), and also had a lot of great days out with my son who loved coming out with me.

It's nearly winter again maybe I can justify buying another...

No comments: