Saturday, November 25, 2006

Creativity in the home.

What do you do when your 5 year old wants his room decorated? The choice of colour of most 5 year old is something garish and bright (or even luminous). In Devon's case Day-glo Pink. Now I have nothing against my son having a pink room if that's his wish, however this would of burnt out his retina's after a week.
So we got to thinking and came up with the idea to paint a character on the wall instead. We went with the villain from his favourite cartoon A.T.O.M, Mr Payne.

I started by printing out an image from the computer
on A4. Then I put this up on the wall and began to redraw the image. Firstly in a light coloured chalk and then I re chalked this in a darker shade once I was satisfied with the first image.
After chalking it's time to move on to the painting. Now you can go nuts and buy loads of paint
here, I however started with a very limited palette and added white to lighten the red right down to the flesh pink in the final image. We also used the yellow of the walls to show the gold in the rings and belt buckles. So we only used about 5 colours in the end.
To finish of the image I drew over the outlines in permanent marker to give it that "cartoon" look and feel.

So is this better than day-glo pink?

I think so, what about you?

No comments: