Wednesday, November 22, 2006

It's funny...

Yesterday I spent the whole working day on a training course around Emotional Intelligence (or EI) and it's impact in the workplace. Now going into this course I was, as always a little sceptical as to what if anything I would get out of it. You know what I mean usually these things can be a bit dull and dare I say it - pointless.
EI however proved a bit of an eye opener. It's so easy to forget in this day and age other peoples feelings and get wrapped up in our own self importance. We forget that people are people too, each one different, each one with their own viewpoint or thoughts. It's also easy to forget that we ourselves are responsible for 50% of all conflicts we get involved in. We interpret a situation depending on how we feel that particular moment in time. So if your happy and upbeat you will interpret a situation completely different than when your sad or angry.
Now I don't like to take my work home with me (unless absolutely necessary) however last night I thought I'd adopt these learning's into my home life and see what happened. The results were amazing. My wife was happier back to me, my kids wanted to jump on me and play more, even the dog couldn't get enough of me. Happy days.
So just remember before you bite someones head off take a look at yourself first, chances are a little empathy will result in a much happier outcome.

I'll get off my soapbox now, excuse me.

No comments: